summer in Cologne

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

Axel
General Trouble maker
General Trouble maker

summer in Cologne

Post by Axel »

Hello,
pretty poor again on Sunday morning. I got boring Mystery and one other station only. That it was. So we had a fantastic continental breakfast outside.
48m run fantastic in the darkness. 76 m works well.

It is your part if you are running a station what you are doing with it. If I want to hear music I put in a cd. It sounds so much better than am radio. For that I do not need a pirate station. So I prefer Stations who are talking and playing some music.
Hello Fox 48, Galaxy and most of the Dutchies….I want to hear Y O U ! ! !
I listened to Laser for hours. Pretty well reception and good shows.
If I remember right I heard ROZ with nearly SINPO 5 on Wednesday evening.

Fri
1848 6220 44433 Mystery
1853 4025 45444 Laser
2032 6265 4444 Antonio with Smokey
2048 6280 Victoria in Engl. Playing Alice Cooper at 2111
2052 6305 45433 Moonlight with poor modulation
2056 6325 45444 UNID partly 55444, Jingle- ID at 2137 but not to understand
2112 6310 25332 Sonnet, later 34333, CCR: Proud Mary, Tremelos, 07975745872, off 2116???

Sat
1848 3905 35433 UNID Dutch
1910 3945 35333 Bogusman
1927 3900 45433 Continental
1940 6220 42442 Mystery with usual evening mix with RTE
1946 4025 45433 Laser
1952 6265 32442 ROZ later 45444, George McCray, Child in time for 1 minute only. Please play the complete 10:06min next time. Thank you!
2030 6325 43443 UNID playing Roll over Beethoven
2054 3910 35333 Fox 48, later 45444, playing Dutch music
2130 3932 24433 Galaxy with polka and Polish Hard Rock, nice mixture, later 35433, no announcements, only jingles

Sun
0745 6300 15331 UNID, there was a station for more than hour on air but S=1 was the best signal, at 10:02 Quintus with 35333
1820 3900 45444 Dutch Skyline playing ZZ Top, Kinks
1900 3900 45333 Roni, English + German

Have a nice week
Axel
Andy Richards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andy Richards »

Axel hits a real raw nerve for Pirate listeners.

Listeners really want to hear the broadcaster.Music is good,but only to help to create a feeling for and and identity of the operator.

What most listeners hate are the non-stop music stations.

Too many Pirates are happy to play music for 30 minutes,make a short
announcement and then close down!Why?

Why not do a 30 minute broadcast with announcements or comments after every song?

I have to say that the MW Pirates are worse than the SW Pirates for this.

What most listeners like is to feel a taste of the station or operator.

If I mention names of the good ones then I will be blamed for missing out a huge list of names.So I won't.

But the good stations know who they are,the listeners know who they are too.And more importantly,the listener feels he "knows" a little about the broadcaster too.

A question of getting your personality,character and tastes across to the listener.Something that non-stop music stations cannot do.

Andy Richards.
freeradionova
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by freeradionova »

Hello Axel and Andy, thanks for your frank opinion about ‘some’ operators on shortwave.
Besides broadcasting I enjoy listening as well; and yes in some cases it makes me nervous waiting for some ID followed by yet another series of played albums. It seems that some operators don’t like to talk much.

Speaking for my self I enjoy broadcasting as an effect of experiments, e.g. if I use an inverted-v instead of a sloper would that make a difference for Terry in Newfoundland. The program used for my broadcast is in that stage less important, I’m more interested in the quality and the signal strength giving out regular ID’s and my website address. So there is a third category besides talking a lot and almost no talking at all; operators who have fun experimenting and therefore not long on air.

It’s a fact that if I want to hear music I get a CD (or internet!) instead of listening to shortwave; so as an operator as well I’m interested in the QTH, power and antenna in use by other stations, so the talk should be relevant as well.

So thanks for the tips I will improve my programs!

73's

http://www.listentoradionova.com
avranesjr
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by avranesjr »

Yes, I can also put on a CD, a cassette, or even an old LP!
But I am not rich enough to have a copy of EVERYTHING ever recorded! So sometimes when I hear pirate stations, they are playing something that I do not have a copy of. And some music might be available in Europe that is not available over here, so it might be my first and maybe only opportunity to hear it, and/or the chance to hear an artist that I have never heard before.
If someone is rich enough to have a copy of everything ever recorded, then they evidently do not need to listen to the radio. For the rest of us, there's pirate radio! :pirate-great:
And I also do not mind at all the test broadcasts; as FRN said they can be a means of experimentation to get out the best signal. So I don't mind monitoring and sending a signal report, even if it is not a "typical" broadcast. :wink:

Alex
Andy Richards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andy Richards »

I love music.

Music is important.

But it is not the MOST important thing for a SW broadcaster.

It does depend on how good a station's signal is.
The stronger the signal,the greater the importance and effect of the music.

I have listened to music from SW & MW Pirates that I have then either gone out and bought or downloaded from the internet.

The quality of the music is better on CD or MP3,but I discovered the song or artist via a Pirate station.

That is still important.

But hey guys!The fact remains that however good your music may be,
it is YOU that we really want to hear.

REAL people playing REAL music.

Whatever your tastes as a broadcaster or listener,I thiink it is great to hear real people,freely playing the music they love.

Andy Richards.