Report from Dunlo, PA, USA 15 February 2009

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

Dave Valko
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Report from Dunlo, PA, USA 15 February 2009

Post by Dave Valko »

3905 R. Spaceshuttle Int. 2033 Death Metal mx, 2037 canned ID in childs voice, then back to mx. 2039 live ID “Dear free radio listeners, you have been listening to R. Spaceshuttle Int. on shortwave. Free radio station from…OK, so this is R. Spaceshuttle Int. and we are closing down…â€
Last edited by Dave Valko on Mon Feb 16, 2009 23:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Valko
Dunlo, PA, USA
JoJo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JoJo »

Thanks Dave for the logs, much appreciated
saturnus
General Trouble maker
General Trouble maker

Post by saturnus »

Hello Dave,thanks for the log.
I had some problems with the powersupply so not much audiopower....
Andrew Yoder
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by Andrew Yoder »

Thanks much for the logs, Dave. It's a wake-up call that I need to try something different. This was my worst weekend thus far, I think. A few carriers, but that's about it. Lately, about all I've been able to log are Boomerang, Playback, & Borderhunter--and with considerable effort.
Ray Lalleu
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by Ray Lalleu »

Hello Dave Valko,

Always reading carefully your logs. Unrounded frequencies are very helpful to identify the stations. And also those many details (if I only had more music references in common with you, it would be perfect).

With your help, I could identify Space Shuttle on Friday 13 Feb. But R. Fox 48 was also on 3905. In 1h30 listening, I only had once the impression of 2 stations on the same frequency, although in the end Fox had overcomed Space Shuttle... Maybe quite exactly the same frequency and at some point fading switching me from one to the other.

On Sunday 15, when Paardenkracht tuned on 6309.8, there was already a polka station on 6312.8 (reported as Polka R. Melbourne by several listeners). That one quickly switched off, a few minutes after Paardenkracht began transmitting music. - Then Condor tried 6310 shortly around 1010 (I did not notice that). - Later, an other station lasted for a very long time on 6310.0, producing a quite evident hum. I could hear some pops or MoR, and even some accordeon, but the station disappeared shortly before Paardenkracht s/off at 13.27.

So, at least when several stations are using close frequencies, it is helpful to report the frequencies as precisely as possible. I disagree with some well known reporters who have very good display on their receivers but are deliberately rounding the frequencies.

For your antennas : of course, a shorter antenna will give you the strongest stations, maybe the other ones also, except that you will get more interferences from the Americas. In "Receiving antenna handbook" by Joe Carr, there is a long chapter about long wires (> 2 lambda), vee beams, rhombics and Beverage antennas. Maybe the best you could do is to terminate your BOG with a 600 ohm resistor to an earth ground. Don't confuse that radio ground with safety ground: no need to have a very good ground with a big cable! I suggest you to bury an old frame from a computer, printer or the like, with a galvanized iron wire going up above the earth level, just something that won't rust quickly in wet ground.

Ray
Ray
Dave Valko
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Thanks Ray!!

Post by Dave Valko »

Thanks a lot for your info and kind comments!!

Yes, I try to be as accurate as possible in every aspect of my listening (freq, time, details, conditions, etc.). I hope that it may be of some help to other listeners. Many people have helped me over my many years in hobby and feel it’s a way of giving back. So, if it helps in any way, great!!

It can be very difficult when there are a number of stations operating very near each other. That’s why I always have a recording running when I’m listening.

Unfortunately the remote site where I listen is public property. So I’m not able to put up a permanent Beverage antenna or ground there. It has to be a mobile setup. I lay out the Beverage On the Ground (BOG) when I arrive, and roll it back up when I leave. It wouldn’t be a good idea to put in a permanent ground as the terrain is entirely too rocky. It probably wouldn’t help much anyway. I don’t believe there are that many signals originating opposite (the back side of the Beverage) the direction to Europe here. The Americas are in a slightly different direction.

Thanks again for your very nice reply. Always a pleasure to hear from other listeners!!

Dave Valko
Dunlo, PA, USA
R Spaceshuttle
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by R Spaceshuttle »

Hi Dave :D ,
Thank you for listening the Home Base of Radio Spaceshuttle again.

Best greetings from
"Folks of Free Atmosphere"

PS. We shall burn out dusts of our transmitters when ever we are in mood to do it!.... And it's quite often.... So whenever you are not even waiting you might be surprised to hear magic words from your radio "This is Radio Spaceshuttle Int. flying again...."