A few Glasgow logs, Sunday 18th December

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

undigest
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

A few Glasgow logs, Sunday 18th December

Post by undigest »

I've recently been stuck with serious, wide-band local QRM which blots out most of shortwave up to maybe 20MHz -- it occasionally disappears for a day or two, but always comes back. A few stronger signals do get through, but nothing ever really gets the better of the noise. Good to hear some stations this morning, and to hear Alpenroos for the first time, but I gave up around 0900, it was just too noisy.

5820kHz, Orion Radio with ID at 0807UTC and saying he had computer problems... 32432

6200kHz, Radio Orang Utan playing Paul McCartney "Wonderful Christmas Time" and giving ID and email at 0811UTC. 32322 under UTE.

6220kHz, UNID giving distorted canned IDs as "...Radio Shortwave" and "...Radio Scandinavia". Live ID heard at 0821, but QRM too bad to make it out. 32322. I think the same station had moved to 6216kHz by 0901UTC, though it was flattened by SSB on that frequency.

6289kHz, Radio Alpenroos "from the North side of the Netherlands" giving SMS and ID, then playing "Lily the Pink" at 0843UTC. 42432 with occasional UTE.

6300kHz, Radio Black Power heard giving email address at 0828UTC. 43433.

Best to all,
Peter

Sony ICF-7600GR + telescopic
Ray Lalleu
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Re: A few Glasgow logs, Sunday 18th December

Post by Ray Lalleu »

Hello Undigest,

Your UNID on 6220 sounds like Spaceshuttle (from Finland), although I did not hear it this morning.

Usually the UNID on 6216 is said to be KING SW (constantly too weak here, a few times strong enoygh but then music only...)

Your local noise sounds like PLC, Powerline communications, i.e. home network on power line, thanks to a neighbour (you don't use PLC in your home, do you?).

Unless able to unplug the ugly thing, your best bet is to use an external antenna. I suggest you put a square loop outside of a window, both ends coming inside, then connected to a variable capacitor. To couple, insert in series on a side a small transformer from a 10.7 MHz IF transformer (with the fixed capacitor inside removed, and you will have to rewind the tiny magnetic core with a primary in series with the loop, a secondary connected to your Rx antanne input and test winding- unwinding till you fins the right combination - use small enamelled wire from a relay).

Best if you can put an antenna far away from your flat, but I suppose this is not possible.

Someone suggested we all need a PLC killer !

Ray
Ray
undigest
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by undigest »

Thanks for that info and advice, Ray: I had wondered if it might be PLC (my own broadband is of the conventional variety). I do get the odd day of absolute quiet, and the noise has encouraged me to listen to the higher frequencies for the first time in years (24, 27 and 28MHz are performing brilliantly just now), but your idea of a loop may well be my best bet. I'd need to go back to the old FRG-7, though, to get the benefit of the shielded lead-in. A pity, as the little Sony is a great radio, especially on 180m and the Synchronous Detector is worth having.

Best,

Peter
JoJo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JoJo »

Thanks for the log peter. Computer problems indeed, hope they are gone next Sunday.
R Spaceshuttle
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by R Spaceshuttle »

Hello Peter in Glasgow,

Yes, indeed it has been Radio Spaceshuttle Int. you have been tuned on 6220 and 6216 kHz. You have got parts of our id-slogans to your ears.

So I can quarantee it has been our signal from far away tx in Finland.

Congratulations! And if liking to receive our QSL-card, please send report with return postage to

Radio Spaceshuttle Int.
P.O.Box 2702
6049 ZG Herten
The Netherlands

or e-mail: spaceshuttleradio@yahoo.com

Dick
RSS
undigest
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by undigest »

Dick,

That's fantastic, I'm very glad finally to have heard Spaceshuttle!

All the best for Christmas and the New Year,

Peter
Ray Lalleu
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by Ray Lalleu »

Hi,

you said :
Sun Dec 18, 2011 23:09 pm by undigest
Thanks for that info and advice, Ray: I had wondered if it might be PLC (my own broadband is of the conventional variety). I do get the odd day of absolute quiet, and the noise has encouraged me to listen to the higher frequencies for the first time in years (24, 27 and 28MHz are performing brilliantly just now), but your idea of a loop may well be my best bet. I'd need to go back to the old FRG-7, though, to get the benefit of the shielded lead-in. A pity, as the little Sony is a great radio, especially on 180m and the Synchronous Detector is worth having.
A few ideas :

- PLC is usually used as a LOCAL network inside a home
- Internet providers usually use ADSL over the phone line (no PLC there)
- Often they provide a box modem etc... AND a PLC pair to connect a 2nd computer or a TV receiver
- So check the boxes ! (Test : disconnect all of them, connect them again one after one...)
- Not sure about the FRG7 : it is supplied by the mains !
- Rather try your Sony on batteries only and the shortest recorder connection (on batteries only!)
- The loop should not be close to the window frame: at least it should have a part far from the wall (the best would be to be able to turn it on two axes till you find the best orientation)
- Shields are not always good... with RF currents on the outside of the shield (I use coax only on the short part between the tuning unit and the receiver, nad not always...)

Maybe we should continue in private message on this board.

Ray
Ray