Stations heard in the US: 1/10/09

Logs from pirates on shortwave.
Log van piraten op korte-golf. (Ned & Eng)

Moderator: Moderators group

Andrew Yoder
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Stations heard in the US: 1/10/09

Post by Andrew Yoder »

Hi, I actually have a little bit to report this morning. My antenna snapped in an ice storm last weekend, so I pulled it down, rewound it, and restrung it this week. It's much straighter this time & is approximately 300 feet long & pointed around 220 degrees. Either it's working better or propagation is better because I have a few logs.

Both signals were weak & I needed help from Achim's Free Radio Desaster for IDs, but I did have audio & could identify at least a tiny bit of the announcing. Also, I haven't re-listened to my recordings yet, so maybe I'll have a few more details later.

Radio Quintus: 6300, 1/10, 0849-0901+ Bits of music, I'm thinking Dutch folk, but I need to listen to the recording more. A lot of talk, said "Good morning" at 0901. Pretty good level, despite my lack of details here (Yoder,PA)

Premier Radio: 6264.9, 1/10, 0907-0911+ Very weak with some bits of music audible. Very long fade outs. Barely any talk even audible, but got a nice fade up & heard "11 minutes after 9 o'clock in the morning." Then bits of music for another minute or two and totally gone (Yoder,PA)

I had no trace, not even a carrier, of King SW on 6215 & Misti on 6240. Also, Delta Lima & R.Waves Int'l were killed by utility QRM and Orion was buried under some sort of local noise source (probably computer).

BTW, we're getting more freezing rain right now in south-central PA (a bit warmer & much less snow than where Dave lives).

That's it. I'm going back to bed now to try to get 2 more hrs of sleep!
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to broadcast & have a great weekend!
Andrew
Johnno
General Trouble maker
General Trouble maker

Post by Johnno »

just heard that Premier were shut down by the communications regulator (Comreg)at approx 10 am utc. :(
avranesjr
Hardcore Gold Piratear
Hardcore Gold Piratear

Post by avranesjr »

Ouch! sorry to hear that about Jimmy and Premier. sad::

And Andrew, I also heard Quintus and Premier here. I was on Iann's chat room when Quintus came on and posted an e-mail from Andrew in the U.S., so I knew it was you. Check out the chatroom sometime: http://www.easyshopdiscountzone.com/rad ... e/english/
Lots of ops and listeners are on there when pirates are on, especially Saturday and Sunday mornings. Johnno and I have chatted many times there.

Alex
Andrew Yoder
New Trouble maker
New Trouble maker

Post by Andrew Yoder »

Sorry...as ya'll probably figured out, these logs were for Jan. 11.

Alex: Thanks for the note about the chatroom. Unfortunately, I can't get into it at home. I guess the connection is too slow. Nice that someone else was listening to these stations, too!

Wow, the Internet really helped me with everything this weekend. As mentioned, I was able to ID the stations from the blogs. Reception was very good in very brief, very occasional peaks. The rest of the time, the audio was either very weak or totally inaudible. Then, I e-mailed the stations while I was listening, just to let them know I could hear them. And I received 3 photos and a nice e-mail from Jimmy at Premier a few min. after I e-mailed. Apparently, he sent the e-mail within half an hour of being raided

:(

Also, I was recording on the computer, which was much easier than recording on cassette or CD-R in the back of a car...and then trying to edit everything upon returning home!